Tuesday 4 September 2012

Stovies

This is a classic, Scottish dish, which I had never tried before.
I asked for help with this one on Mumsnet, and got lots of ideas.  I took them all into consideration, different meats were mentioned, from leftover roast, to mince to sausages and corned beef.  I went with the corned beef as I knew there was a tin lurking in the back of the cupboard.
I browned a large onion in beef dripping, added in chunks of potatoes, two large for us, a beef stock pot, the cubed tin of corned beef and some water, a mugful maybe?
I don't do exact quantities!
I put the lid on and left for around forty minutes, until the potaoes were soft, and the onions were meltingly tender.
I served this in the traditional way, with oatcakes and broon (bown) sauce.
Brilliant, delicious and cheap comfort food.
I'll be rolling this out again in winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment