Sunday 28 October 2012

Kewpie mayonnaise

I saw this on Masterchef Australia this week and just had to try it.  It was £7 on Amazon(!), but hey, I love trying new foods.
I knew from the show it is Japanese, so I got out my Japanese book Everyday Harumi which I'd only cooked two dishes from.
I chose the chicken karaage, crab fried rice and sesame green beans.
The rice was way too stodgy when cooked, and I knew it wouldn't fry well at all, so I imrovised and made it into a cogee, using mirin, dashi wasabi and topping with sliced spring onions.
It was delicious, but then we love congee.
The karaage was great-fried chicken always is, and the beans added a great freshness and crunch.
The kewpie is much tastier and tangier than normal mayo we thought, I have another recipe using it lined up for later this week.


1 comment:

  1. I picked up kewpie in Wing Yip several weeks ago, meant to crack it open with some fried chicken but ended up having that with Japanese curry sauce instead.

    But it's waiting for me to dive into it V SOON NOW!

    ReplyDelete